Inspections are usually undertaken by a Building Control Officer, but sometimes an engineer is required to undertake an inspection when the work is specialized in nature.
The inspections that are required for your project are identified in your building consent.
Inspections which may be required include, but are not limited to:
- Footing / Foundation / Slab
- Masonry Blockwork
- Pre-Slab Building/Plumbing
- Pre-Flooring (Sub-Floor)
- Pre-Wrap (Framing/Fixings)
- Cavity Battens (Flashings)
- Pre-Line Building/Plumbing
- Post Line Brace Fixings
- Exterior Claddings
- Brick Veneer
- External Membrane System
- Tiled Shower Membrane
- Fire Wall Linings
- Solid Fuel Appliance Pre-Line (Inbuilt)
- Solid Fuel Appliance Final (Inbuilt)
- Solid Fuel Appliance Pre-Line / Final (Insert or Freestanding)
- Pool barrier
- Final Inspection
Booking an Inspection
When booking an inspection the following information must be available:
- Site address
- Building consent number
- Name and phone number of contact person on site
- Date the inspection is required
- Type of inspection, eg plumbing, drainage, foundation etc
- Important notes
When you are ready for an inspection to be completed, please give Council at least 24 hours advance notice.
Council endeavours to arrange inspections as quickly as possible, however, they can take longer during busy times.
As the owner, it is your responsibility (or your builder) to book an inspection with Council.
Please remember to have the approved plans and documentation onsite. If these are not available when the inspector arrives, the inspection will not take place, and you may be charged extra for a re-inspection.
At the final inspection you will be required to:
- Have the consented plans onsite.
- Provide copies of the following documents (if applicable) electrical certificate of compliance, gas certificate of compliance, as laid drainage plan, producer statements (PS3, PS4, membrane applicators etc), backflow protection device installation and test certificate.
- If specified systems have been installed provide copies of all electrical certificates of compliance, testing certificates, system certifications by certifying bodies.