Long Term Plan 2024-34
Let's Talk Progress
We’re working on developing the Long Term Plan (LTP) 2024-34, and to ensure the Plan meets the needs and aspirations of our community we'll be having conversations with you on key issues throughout the rest of the year.
How much will it cost? What’s the most important thing to get done first? How much are people willing to pay to see their dreams realised? Are we delivering the right services? What else should we be doing?
To help answer these questions we need your thoughts, and invite you to be part of all opportunities to have a say going forward.
You can see what Council's annual budget for 2023/24 looks like below.
Community Vision and Outcomes
At a council meeting on 22 August 2023, Councillors adopted our Vision and Community Outcomes. We developed these using community feedback, a workshop with Councillors, and input from some local iwi, and they’re what will guide the development of our LTP.
A Welcoming, Inclusive, Safe community – Te Pūmanawa o Taranaki.
Te Pūmanawa o Taranaki translates as ‘The Beating Heart of Taranaki.’
- We celebrate the unique stories of our district
- We are inclusive, and value our diversity
- Stratford is a friendly place where our visitors feel welcomed
- Our diverse community feels safe and supported
- We promote the district as the place to visit, live, play, learn and work
- We consider our natural resources as taonga (treasures) and we will work with our treaty partners and the community to protect and look after them
- We support a low-emissions future for our community
- We enable our rangatahi (youth) to be sustainable leaders
- We Strive to have resilient infrastructure that meets the current and future needs of the district
- We respect and apply Te Ao Māori values and Matauranga Māori in our mahi (actions/work)
- We provide opportunities for families and people of all ages to connect with others in the community
- Our community is engaged and actively participates in democracy
- We value local knowledge when making decisions
- We advocate for the services that our community needs to live safe and healthy lives
- We welcome opportunities to work in partnership with others to help achieve our community outcomes
- We are committed to fostering meaningful and genuine partnerships with Mana Whenua
- We are a business friendly district
- We encourage a diverse and sustainable business community
- We enable economic growth by supporting business investment and development in our district
- We support the growth of employment opportunities within our community; with a particular focus on our rangatahi (youth)
- We carefully balance the needs and wants of our district when funding services and infrastructure
- We encourage partnerships to collaborate with Mana Whenua for the benefits of the Stratford district.
Results from community feedback
In June 2023 we did a survey that received 123 responses. The survey asked questions that would help Council understand your needs and wants for the district over the next 10 years.
- The full survey results can be viewed here.
- View a summary document showing key themes from the open ended responses here.
Survey results were provided to elected members at a workshop on 11 July 2023. Councillors discussed our existing vision and community outcomes and alongside staff, worked on making some updates to these for our next 10 years.
The draft vision and community outcomes were shared with local iwi organisations for input and then went to Council in a decision report on 22 August, where they had an opportunity to debate any changes prior to adopting them.
- You can read the decision report on page 110 of the agenda here.
- Minutes from this meeting will be available here.
These final Community Outcomes and the District Vision will be included in the full draft LTP which will be up for public consultation in 2024.
Now that we’ve defined our Vision and the Community Outcomes we want for the economic, cultural, environmental and social wellbeing of our district, we’re able to look at how we get there.
We’ll be developing our performance measures, targets, and levels of service. Part of this mahi, is working out how we’ll prioritise our projects and services, be as efficient as we can be, and save money where we’re able to. It’s a big piece of work!
We’ll also be reviewing a number of policies and strategy documents that relate to the LTP and there’ll be lots of opportunities for you to share your thoughts on these over the coming months.
Keep an eye on this page for updates and opportunities for you to have a say as we move forward.
Alternatively you can sign up to receive email updates so you don't miss a beat!