Stratford is justifiably proud of its many parks, reserves and play areas.
King Edward Park
King Edward Park is located next to Stratford’s Town Centre, on the corner of Fenton and Portia Streets. Bordering the park are the Multi Sports Complex, Stratford Primary School, the TSB Pool Complex, the Centennial Rest Rooms, the Stratford Holiday Park and the Girl Guide and Scout Den.
Features of the park include the Malone Gates, built in 1923 as a tribute to Colonel William George Malone, who was killed at Chunuk Bair, Gallipoli, in August 1915. These memorial gates have recently been enhanced by detailed lighting, which highlights the importance of the Malone Gates to Stratford.
Another popular attraction is the McCullough Rhododendron Dell. The Dell includes a pond, selections of rhododendron hybrids, azaleas, hydrangeas and native and exotic shrubs and trees. Recently, aKing Edward Park Reserve Management Plan (RMP) was developed and identifies the future management and development of King Edward Park. The RMP and the Parks, Reserves and Cemeteries Asset Management Plan have had developments approved in principle, in terms of the Reserves Act 1977, enabling public input and discussion through both this planning process and subsequent Annual and Long Term Plan processes.
Victoria Park is situated on Orlando Street. Previously known as Fenton Street Domain, it was renamed in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s 60 years’ reign.Victoria Park is situated on Orlando Street. Previously known as Fenton Street Domain, it was renamed in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s 60 years’ reign.
A lake is situated in the middle of the park and was once used by fisherman and boaters before becoming a home to ducks. A walking track surrounds the pond and the path leads walkers through an array of native plantings. The path caters for everyone, with seating and picnic spots. To compliment the gardens which are in King Edward Park, Victoria Park has its own rhododendrons planted alongside flowering cherry trees on the Fenton Street boundary.
The Victoria Park Memorial Gates, located at the southwest corner, remind visitors of the sacrifice made by Stratford’s fallen soldiers in World War I. The memorial gates were unveiled on ANZAC Day 1926.
The Victoria Park Reserve Management Plan has been created to provide future management and development ideas for Victoria Park. A Working Group has recently been formed consisting of council officers, youth councillors and the public to develop a bike and pump-track within the park, which will be located next to the playground. Although still in the very early stages there is a lot of excitement surrounding this project.
Windsor Park is located on Cloten Road and gets its name from Shakespeare’s play ‘The Merry Wives of Windsor’.Windsor Park is located on Cloten Road and gets its name from Shakespeare’s play ‘The Merry Wives of Windsor’.
The park has giant Miro trees alongside exotic trees to create an enjoyable setting for picnics and walks.
Windsor Park is unique in that it has a ‘beach’ located on the Patea riverbank, known as Windsor Park Beach. The stony riverbank offers the perfect spot to relax and swim at the ‘beach’.
The Thomson Arboretum, which adjoins Windsor Park, was created as a bequest from Percy Thomson, a former Mayor of Stratford.
The Arboretum represents the native flora and fauna of New Zealand and descendants of plants on the former Gondwana continent. This is a lovely, open area offering a great space for families to spend time here enjoying picnics and walks.
- Last Updated: Monday, 13 May 2019 22:28
24 HOUR PHONE:
(06) 765 6099
Your Favourites are empty
Start adding to your favourites by clicking the '+' button on any item, adding it to ‘Favourites’.