Apply for a building consent
Not sure if you need a building consent?
Before you start filling out forms, visit Can I Build It to find out if you even need a consent. This interactive website is for homeowners who want to renovate or repair their home. The tool helps you find out if your building work needs a building consent, and what you need to do before starting physical work.
Apply for a consent using Simpli
SDC has introduced the Simpli portal for customers to apply and track their building consents.
Currently used by over 30 councils Simpli allows anyone applying for a building consent to submit, manage, and track their building consents from entering their application through to the end of the process.
- Simpli allows communication between Council and the applicant should more information be needed to process an application.
- When the Building Consent Authority approves your application, you will receive all relevant information and documents via the portal.
- The portal also allows you to create form templates that reduce the need to capture the same information, again and again, when making an application.
- To apply online you first need to register on the Simpli Portal (www.simpli.govt.nz)
you only need to do this once.
- All you need is a valid email address and a password to register to use the portal.
- Once you have registered, you can apply for a building consent at www.simpli.govt.nz/apply-online
Ensure your application form is correct and complete
- The application form has a number of parts and it is important that all sections are completed.
- You will also be required to add the documentation relevant to your project.
- Applications will not be accepted if any of the information is missing.
Submit your application
All parts of Form 2 (Building Consent application) are to be completed and submitted along with one (1) copy of all required plans and supporting documentation.
Making a payment
You will receive notification from Council, via the portal, with a pro-forma invoice for deposit fees and references numbers associated with your application. Once payment has been received by Council, your accepted application will begin processing.
Submitting your application via mail or over the counter
Although Council strongly encourages all applications be made using the Simpli portal you are still able to submit your Building Consent application via mail or over the counter at your local Council office.
If doing so please note:
- Additional charges may apply.
- Payment of deposit fees for your application must be made before the consent will be processed.
- If paying online contact Council's Quality Assurance Officer for a reference code and bank account details. If lodging your consent in person payment of deposit fees must be made at time of lodging.
- If posting application documents post to: Stratford District Council, PO Box 320, Stratford 4352
- You will need to go to the Simpli portal tool box and download the appropriate forms as below:
- Form 2 - Building Consent (also application for Project Information Memorandum (PIM), Solid Fuel Burner, Staged Building Consent, Amendment to Building Consent, or Building Consent using a National Multiple-Use Approval (Multi-proof').
- Form 2A - Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work
- Form 2B - Statutory Declaration of Owner/Builder
All building work must be carried out in accordance with the NZ Building Code and the Stratford District Council's District Plan, whether or not it is exempt from a Building Consent.
Amendments to a building consent
A minor variation is defined as a minor modification, addition, or variation to a building consent that does not deviate significantly from the plans and specifications to which the building consent relates. In short it is a change that clearly has little impact on compliance with the building code and may be approved by the Building Control Officer on site.
A major variation (amendment) is where the work is outside the scope of the original consent, such as additional footprint or increase in floor area, construction method, or significant changes to the layout. A Formal amendment will be required for the new work to be undertaken, and revised plans and specifications are required to be submitted to Council for approval prior to the work being carried out.
All amendments must be approved and recorded by the Building Consent Authority (Council).
MultiProof Building Consents ‐ Timeframes for processing
A MultiProof consent is a building consent for a standardised design that is intended to be replicated many times. MultiProof approvals are issued by the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment.
MultiProof is a statement by the Department that a specific set of building plans and specifications complies with the New Zealand Building Code. Under the Building Act 2004 (as amended in 2009), Building Consent Authorities must accept a MultiProof as evidence of Building Code compliance.
A building consent is still needed for a building with MultiProof approval.
The role of Building Consent Authorities is to:
- Approve site-specific details, including foundations and utilities
- Ensure that any MultiProof conditions have been met, and
- Undertake normal inspections during construction.
The Council has 10 working days to issue a MultiProof building consent. Based on information from Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment website.
Any questions about the Building Consent process can be addressed to the Quality Assurance Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone 765 6099 or by coming in to the Council offices, Miranda Street, Stratford.
- Application for a Compliance Schedule (PDF, 386.4KB)
- Application for an amendment to a Compliance Schedule (PDF, 319.5KB)
- Application for an exemption (PDF, 295.8KB)
- Application for an exemption - Record (PDF, 153.7KB)
- Application for B2 Modification (PDF, 239KB)
- Application for minor variation (PDF, 271.8KB)
- As Built Drainage Plan (PDF, 122.2KB)
- As Built Stormwater Drainage Plan (PDF, 110.9KB)
- Building Warrant of Fitness Application (PDF, 163.4KB)
- Exempt Building Work Form (PDF, 145.1KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Backflow device (PDF, 163.3KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Drainage (PDF, 166.2KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Emergency Lighting (PDF, 206.3KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Fire Doors (PDF, 183.6KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) HVAC (PDF, 174.1KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Interior Surface Finishes (PDF, 168.1KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Intumescent Coatings (PDF, 158KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Pile Driving (PDF, 167.5KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Plumbing (PDF, 165.1KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Solar or Heat Pump Water Heating (PDF, 169.7KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Solar Panels (PDF, 166.4KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Solid fuel heaters (PDF, 169KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Tanking (PDF, 165.8KB)
- Producer statement (PS3) Waterproofing (PDF, 179.5KB)
- Solid Fuel Burner Floor Layout Template (PDF, 126.4KB)
- Written Approval Affected Person Application (PDF, 100.8KB)