Triennial elections for elected members of local authorities throughout New Zealand, including Stratford, are to be conducted, by postal vote, on Saturday 12 October 2019.
The elections will be conducted under the provisions of the Local Electoral Act 2001 and the Local Electoral Regulations 2001 and will be undertaken by Election Services, under contract to Stratford District Council.
Elections will be required for the following positions:
- Mayor (elected ‘at large’)
- Councillors (10)
- Rural Ward (4)
- Urban Ward (6)
- Taranaki Regional Council Member (1 member elected from the Stratford Constituency)
- Horizons Regional Council Member (1 member elected from the Ruapehu Constituency)
- Taranaki District Health Board Members ( 7 members elected ‘ at large’)
Nominations for the above positions will open on Friday 19 July 2019 and close at noon on Friday 16 August 2019.
Nomination papers will be available during this period:
- From Council’s Administration Building, 61 – 63 Miranda Street, Stratford
- by accessing www.Stratford.govt.nz
- by telephoning the electoral office on 0800 922 822.
To be eligible to stand for election, a candidate must be:
- a New Zealand citizen (by birth or naturalisation ceremony); and
- enrolled as a Parliamentary elector (anywhere in New Zealand); and
- nominated by two electors whose names appear on the electoral roll within the respective area that a candidate is standing for.
Detailed candidate information handbooks will be available from the electoral office from May 2019.
Further information on the election is available in the fact sheet .
If a person is on the parliamentary roll in one area and pays rates on a property in another area, this person may be eligible to be enrolled on the non-resident ratepayer roll.
Ratepayer enrolment forms can be found here.
2016 Local Authority Elections
The 2016 Local Authority elections took place on 8 October.
The declared results can be found here.
A schedule showing the percentage of voter returns by day can be found here.
- Last Updated: Thursday, 31 January 2019 01:46
24 HOUR PHONE:
(06) 765 6099
Your Favourites are empty
Start adding to your favourites by clicking the '+' button on any item, adding it to ‘Favourites’.