Rubbish and Recycling
Rubbish and Recycling during Alert Level 2
Please note while we respond to COVID-19 some of the information on this page will be incorrect, the below bullet points explain what is available during Alert Level 2.
Rubbish and Recycling
- Your general waste bin (red lid) will be collected every Monday as normal.
- Your mixed recycling bin (yellow or green lid) will be collected on your normal fortnightly cycle. With all mixed recycling (e.g. paper, cardboard, and plastic) able to be sent to the recycling facility.
- Your glass recycling (blue crate) will be collected on your normal fortnightly cycle. Our collectors will sort your glass into colours at the kerbside. Please don't overfill your blue crate with recycling, and make sure it is a safe lifting weight (under 12kg). To keep our collectors and streets safe from smashed glass, please keep glass below the top of your crate. Save any extra glass for the next collection.
- Stratford Transfer Station will open as per the normal operating hours. To continue to keep our staff and community safe, payment remains contactless, by EFTPOS or account only.
- Transfer station opening hours and charges are available at: www.stratford.govt.nz/council/services/rubbish-recycling
To see the full list of what can and what can't be recycled, have a look at our Recycling Search.
Printable Maps and Calendars
Transfer Station Hours
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 2pm to 5pm
Wednesday 10am to 1pm
Weekend and Statutory Holidays 1pm to 5pm
Good Friday Closed
Christmas Day Closed
Located at the southern end of Cordelia Street (06) 765 8500.
For current refuse fees, click here to view the council's Fees and Charges document.
Greenwaste at Transfer Station
- Prunings (untreated branches up to 10cm in diameter)
- Lawn clippings
- Garden waste and leaves
- Stringy plants (flaxes, cabbage trees, ponga, yucca, bamboo) - General waste
- Noxious weeds and invasive species (agapanthus, ginger plants, box thorn, Norfolk pines) - General waste
- Plants that have been sprayed - General waste
- Branches (over 10cm in diameter) - Chop up for firewood
- Treated timber, sawdust - General waste
- Cleanfill (concrete, stones, rubble, soil) - General waste
- Human/animal waste, nappies - General waste
All recycling at the Stratford Transfer Station is free to deposit.
Please follow the directions of the staff in all circumstances.
Rubbish is collected from Areas A and B every Monday.
This bin with the red lid is for general refuse. Any general refuse can be put in this bin including green waste such as weeds, lawn clippings and broken glass The two items that cannot be put in this bin are hot ashes and liquids.
The bin should be placed at the road side by 7.30am on the morning of your collection day with the wheels facing the house. Council collection services are not disrupted by public holidays.
Recycling is collected weekly on a Monday.
The large bin is for recycling only and the blue crate is for glass, and they are collected on alternate weeks.
Your recycling bin should be placed at the roadside by 7.30am.
Council collection services are not disrupted by public holidays.
Materials that can be put in the recycling wheelie bin are:
- Corrugated cardboard only
- Any plastics with the numbers 1 to 7 inclusive, including plastic milk bottles and plastic drink bottles
- Steel and aluminium cans
All containers must be washed and have caps removed. These materials may be placed in the bin unsorted.
Glass that can be put in the blue crate are:
- Drink & other bottles (clear, green and brown only)
Reporting dumped rubbish
It is illegal to dump rubbish in public areas.
You can help keep the Stratford district beautiful and help us find those responsible for dumping rubbish by reporting what you notice. If you see illegally dumped rubbish, please phone 0800 DUMPING (386 7464), or if the rubbish might affect a waterway, call Taranaki Regional Council’s environment hotline on 0800 736 222 or fill out the online form.
You can report the type of rubbish, the approximate amount and whether it is blocking a road or could endanger the public. If you saw the rubbish being dumped you should supply the date and time, details of the vehicle and any other relevant information.
Thank you for helping keep the Stratford District beautiful.
Agrecovery Rural Recycling
Agrecovery Container recycling provides a safe and fully compliant programme for the recycling of plastic agrichemical, biological, animal health and dairy hygiene containers.
The Agrecovery Rural Recycling Programme recently held collections in Taranaki for unwanted or expired horticultural, agricultural and veterinary chemicals, financially supported by the Taranaki Regional and District Councils. Although these collections are now over, you can contact Agrecovery for further information on Agrecovery Chemicals and other rural recycling programmes on offer, visit www.agrecovery.co.nz or contact Agrecovery on 0800 247 326.
For household or garden chemicals please contact your local council, as these are not subsidised under the Agrecovery Chemicals programme.
Love Food Hate Waste
See the Love Food Hate Waste website for ideas on how to use food leftovers and 'scraps'.
Old Mobile Phones
Stratford District Council is proud to be a collection point for old mobile phones for charity. The objective of this is to collect old mobile phones that otherwise may find their way to landfills. Drop your old mobile phones off at the Transfer Station today for free. Help the environment!
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 13 May 2020 01:22